-
March 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
#1
Inactive Member
If you're a Beet freak, try this great Thermowell recipe: wash and trim your beets, put into Thermowell pot with about a third cup of water, cover and cook on full fire for 15 minutes or so. Turn the fire off completely and allow to cook on retained heat and the pilot light for 12 hours or so. The beet fibers break down and become incredibly tender and sweet, similar to oven roasted but so moist...too easy, too simple and too delicious.
-
March 23rd, 2006, 02:38 AM
#2
Inactive Member
19 viewings and no replys... Somehow beets just don't seem to elicit the same impassioned response as oatmeal. Go figure.
My wife loves 'em. I'll give it a try. Thanks
Joe
-
March 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
#3
Inactive Member
The beet goes on...
[img]http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/12/10/inside-sonnycher2.jpg[/img]
yeah the beet goes on...
Can't stand beets myself.
Or Sonny and Cher for that matter but I just couldn't resist.
-
March 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
#4
Inactive Member
as it turns out, beets seem to have a rather "private" following. although there are no public responses to my beet query, i received several private emails from other beet happy people. their privacy will be repsected and i will not be releasing a list of beet freaks or, as alan ginsburg would say, beat freaks. i would consider myself tobe a beat beet freak and proud of it. just keep the greenbeans off my plate and out of my kitchen.
-
March 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I like beets, although maybe not to a freakish level. And as a matter of fact, happen to have a nice rotund, organic one that was just waiting to learn how to stew itself in the twell. I'll give it a try today (sans pilot). Thanks Ha!
-
March 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks Ha for the beet recipe, sure hope it is posted to our recipe page.
Yeaaaa beet lovers. GO! Go! Go! We love beets, don't have them often enough, also put them cold on salads, Ken's mom used to do pickled beets, but then she was born and raised in TX, I just moved here.
As for green beens...Ken wouldn't touch them, he lived with them as an Aggie, the way he tells it he had them for breakfast too....v
-
March 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I always hated it when that vinegary purple beet juice ran into the mashed potatoes. Pretty much ruined those, turned them mushy and sour. I love mashed potatoes and reject any food which runs across the plate just to ruin them! [img]cool.gif[/img]
-
March 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
#8
Inactive Member
for beet salad I use apple cider vinegar, canola oil, S&P and sugar to taste pour over the beets and onions and let the flavors meld for an hour. Delicious. Again I apologize for not listing proportions. I "eyeball" all my ingredients when cooking. Only measure when I'm baking.
Treatmaker
-
March 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
#9
Inactive Member
-
March 24th, 2006, 04:46 AM
#10
Inactive Member
i love those sliced beets with onion slices in a vinegary liquid...anyone know how to make this cold dish ?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks